Job Location: 100 Hanover St. Boston, MA
(978) 254-7625 or Careers @ AmericanStonecraft.com
New England’s agricultural history is visible in stonewalls. They are beloved by many but also under threat. A USDA survey in the 1930s calculated that there were more miles of stone fences in New York and New England than miles between the earth and the moon.Since then, tens of thousands of miles have been lost, not just to road construction and suburban sprawl, but to stone cutting mills that buy miles of stonewalls at a time to saw the individual stones into home siding. Talk about bad juju!
Gerald Croteau III, founder of American Stonecraft, discovered that there was a way to share the story of fieldstones and their colorful geology in a sustainable way. American Stonecraft generates income for farmers and allows collectors to discover local geology from their very own communities. How? Because local farmers grow rocks every year! It’s true! The soil berths a crop every year thanks to the expansion and contraction of the freeze thaw cycle.
American Stonecraft is a Massachusetts art studio that only uses these freshly harvested rocks to make beautiful dishes (think coasters, food safe serving platters, and plates) that all label which farm they were gathered at. Because we use freshly harvested rocks, the work is not a threat to stonewalls. These artifacts also raise awareness about the history of fieldstones and share geology that has been lying beside us for a lifetime, waiting till now to be seen! This in turn creates educated citizens who want to preserve this history, and educated neighbors who collect our beautiful one-of-a-kind goods.
Working at American Stonecraft offers you a chance to meet and interact with a wide range of visitors to Boston, to become associated with a successful and growing art studio, to learn and practice your sales skills, and be around beautiful natural products.
Desired Skills and Qualities:
- Excellent smile and positive attitude
- Enthusiasm to share our story with visitors
- Ability to take direction, desire to learn, and willingness to adapt your approach
- Greet visitors and get them excited about our mission
- Provide customers with information about our studio and the items we craft
- Recommend items based on customer needs and preferences
- Follow procedures for opening and closing the stall and cash register
- Accurately complete sales transactions using Square Point of Sale
- Record contact information of visitors interested in joining our mailing list
- Organize outbound orders and prepare them for shipment
- Work with Manager to implement and maintain merchandise displays
- Uphold a clean, neat, and beautiful storefront and back storage area ensuring inventory, supplies, and marketing materials remain well-stocked
- Job will take place at American Stonecraft inside the Boston Public Market, 100 Hanover Street, Boston, MAnext to the Haymarket Train Station and two blocks from Quincy Market / Faneuil Hall.
- Hours are somewhat flexible, but you should generally be available for at least two shifts per week during our open hours of 10am-8pm Sunday-Thursday and 8am-8pm Friday-Saturday.
- Ability to work on your feet 5 or 6 hours a day.
- Ability to lift 10 pounds.
Deadline: Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis.
Salary: $13/hr base, plus generous commission.
Schedule: Part Time, 1-3 Shifts per week of 5 to 6 hours per shift
How To Apply:
Please email your resume and availability to careers at americanstonecraft.com. Interviews conducted in Boston, Massachusetts.
Visit www.AmericanStonecraft.com to learn more! American Stonecraft is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we would love to meet you!